Marley Park Gallery: Summer Art Series

13243 N. Founders Park Blvd., Surprise, AZ 85379

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Bruce Charles (EMAG) response to city action


Thomas,

I just wanted you to know that I am sad that you lost your space at the El Mirage Art Gallery. I'm very sorry that things did not work out the way you had hoped. It's truly a shame, and a huge loss, for the city of El Mirage. I am totally depressed about this situation and I hope you know that Amanda and I truly supported you in what you were trying to accomplish. I'm sorry things took a weird turn. I had no idea that EMAG would be given such clout with the city so quickly. But, then again, I had no idea you would turn around and do a complete one-eighty on us.

To be honest, I truly don't understand why you chose to reject EMAG (or, in other words, your friends) as an entity that would help you accomplish your goals. We were not formed to steal your thunder or take over your vision. We literally formed in front of your eyes at Anthony and Cristina's house while watching football - with the intention of supporting YOU - and your cause. You were right there when we started this group. In fact, EMAG was - in some way - the culmination of all the shit we had talked about all summer long while we were drinking beers in my driveway. EMAG was formed for YOU, man. All we wanted to do was keep everything going when you said that it looked like the city might shut the doors on you. Don't you remember? Back in January? Watching football? You expressed your fears and concerns to us? Well, we all had your back, Tom. All the way. That is the reason we formed. For YOU. 

For you to suddenly declare you don't want to have anything to do with us was quite fucking insulting. I want you to know that I was personally hurt - and QUITE insulted - by your decision to exclude yourself from EMAG. It was a huge surprise and a large slap in the face for me. I would imagine that Amanda, Anthony and Cristina felt very much the same way. We all had a vision of working together to build something really cool - right here - in El Mirage. I thought you had the same idea. We all did. I really thought we were all on the same page. But I guess not.

I was there when Spencer asked you to join EMAG. AND, believe me, I imagine that him asking you that was quite insulting to YOU. No doubt. ESPECIALLY after all the work you had done by yourself. I totally understand being insulted by that - and feeling like maybe you deserve more credit. You DID. AND you DO. There is no doubt about it. What I don't understand is how you were willing to let everything go. After all the work that had been accomplished - you just walked away. We could still be moving forward, man. That's the truth.

I have no idea what's going to happen now. I'm really sorry that things worked out like this. I really wanted, and still want, to work with you if it's possible. I certainly doesn't feel right without you being involved. It's totally depressing to me.

Again, I'm sorry, Tom. I really am. I hope there are no hard feelings between us.

Hopefully, or just maybe, it's not too late to reconsider everything.

Let's do this man. Is it even possible?

Please let me know where you're coming from.

Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment